- SHAINT, isles, in the parish of Lochs, county of Ross and Cromarty. These are three small isles of the Hebrides, well known to mariners, lying in the channel between the islands of Lewis and Skye, and in the district of the former. One of them is called Ilaun Moair, or St. Mary's Island; and together they are sometimes designated the Holy Isles. On St. Mary's was anciently a chapel, dedicated to the Virgin. Black-cattle are pastured upon them all, and they are famous for fattening sheep; as are also some small rocks in their neighbourhood, which have fine grass upon their summits. A family usually resides on the largest, for the purpose of tending the cattle.
A Topographical dictionary of Scotland. Samuel Lewis. 1856.
Look at other dictionaries:
Shiant Isles — Blick über Garbh Eilean, die größte der Shiant Isles Gewässer The Minch (Nordatlantik) … Deutsch Wikipedia